Marlfield House has been recognized as one of the leading small and luxury hotels in Ireland receiving multiple awards and accolades throughout the years.
The Duck Restaurant at Marlfield House wins Georgina Campbell’s Atmospheric Restaurant of the Year Award
Irish diners place a high premium on atmosphere – often rating it even above the quality of food when choosing where to eat out – but this restaurant, although certainly atmospheric, has much more to it than that.
Some really lovely restored buildings beside Marlfield House took on a new lease of life in 2015, when a series of disused areas – including a coach house, potting shed and gardener’s tool shed – were very attractively developed by Margaret and Laura Bowe to create a stylishly informal restaurant and café-bar, named ‘The Duck’ after their mother Mary’s fondness for the ducks in their garden. With a large terrace overlooking the fine kitchen gardens that have for many years inspired proudly seasonal menus in the main house (as they still do), diners at the new restaurant can enjoy them in a very up close and personal way, as the terrace is right alongside the kitchen garden – which, in summer, is a wonderfully lush mixture of herbs, vegetables, fruit and rose blooms.
It’s a magic spot, especially on a fine day – and, although it may be a more obvious choice in summer, this relaxed restaurant is an atmospheric all-year destination and there’s always a cheering open fire to make it a cosy place to enjoy the good modern, broadly Italian, cooking in the colder months. A charming restaurant, and an instant success from day one – it’s easy to see why.
Awards and Accolades
- La Liste: One of the best 11 Restaurants in Ireland
- Georgina Campbell’s Ireland Guide: Atmospheric Restaurant of the Year 2017 (The Duck)
- The Good Hotel Guide: Editor’s Choice Country House Hotel 2017
- The Duck Restaurant: Michelin Guide 2017
- TripAdvisor: Marlfield House – Travellers’ Choice 2017
- Bord Bia: The Duck – Just Ask Restaurant of the Month October 2016
- South East Radio Hospitality Awards: Best Boutique Hotel 2016
- TripAdvisor: Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Food & Wine Magazine: The Duck – Hall Of Fame Award 2016
- TripAdvisor: Certificate of Excellence 2015
- Restaurant Association of Ireland: Best Hotel Restaurant in Wexford 2015
- TripAdvisor: Certificate of Excellence 2014
- The Sunday Times: Ultimate 100 Hotels in British Isles 2014
- Restaurant Association of Ireland: Best Customer Service Restaurant in Leinster 2014
- Restaurant Association of Ireland: Best Customer Service Restaurant in Wexford 2011, 2012 & 2014
- Good Eating Awards: Best Front of House 2012
- Georgina Campbell’s Ireland Guide Country House of Year 2011.
- AA Courtesy and Care Award 2010
- International Hospitality Award 2003
- Andrew Harpers Hideaway Report: Best 25 Hotels in the World
- Condé Nast Johansen’s Best Country House Hotel 1997
- The Good Hotel Guide Cesar Award 1996
- RAC Gold Ribbon Award for Excellence 1999 to 2004
- RAC Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence 1992 – 1998
- AA Three Red Stars and Three Red Rosettes 1981 to 2004
- Michelin Guide Red M 1980-1996
- Egon Ronay Hostess of the Year Award 1995
- Johansen’s Best Country House Award 1993
- Murphy’s Irish Stout Ambassador of Tourism Awards 1993
- Graham’s Port Wine List of the Year 1991
- Relais & Chateaux World Wide Best Breakfast Award 1990
- Hideaway Report, One of the World’s Most Enchanting Hidaways 1986 & 1990
- Bord Failte National Garden Awards 1983-1986
- Wedgwood Top 50 Hotels Award 1984
- Bord Failte Restaurant Award for Excellence 1982-1994
Memberships and Associations
Relais and Chateaux
Relais & Châteaux is an exclusive collection of 475 of the finest hotels and gourmet restaurants in 55 countries.
Established in France in 1954, the Association’s mission is to spread its unique art de vivre across the globe by selecting outstanding properties with a truly unique character.
Furthermore, Relais & Châteaux is also a family of hoteliers and Grands Chefs from all over the world who share a passion for and a personal commitment to ensuring their guests are privy to moments of exceptional harmony. To choose Relais & Châteaux is to experience an unforgettable celebration of the senses.
From the vineyards in Napa valley to the beaches in Bali, from the olive trees in Provence to the lodges in South Africa, Relais & Châteaux offers a chance to explore the Route du Bonheur and discover a special place in a variety of destinations.
The Relais & Châteaux signature reflects this ambition: “ALL AROUND THE WORLD, UNIQUE IN THE WORLD.”
Ireland’s Blue Book
Ireland’s Blue Book represents the finest of Ireland’s hospitality, accommodation and cuisine. Members are selected on a strict criteria basis with the emphasis being on properties who have a strong individualistic style and character and who are not members of hotel chains. Each property is different in style, setting, ambience and atmosphere. In an age of increasing uniformity this is indeed unique. The uniqueness of the properties is further enhanced by the development in innovative cuisine which draws heavily on the provision of local fresh and organic produce.